Subject: Re: [boost] Status of the CMake-ification
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-17 03:37:46

Louis Dionne wrote:

> Dear Boost,
>
> I'd like to inquire about the status of the CMake-ification of Boost that
> had
> been started a while ago. AFAICT, the effort is completely stopped now; is
> this correct?

Yes. It can never reach a completeness because the Boost community doesn't
want it, so the effort stopped.

Note that for users of boost, there would be a great benefit if boost.build
would generate cmake packages with imported targets. Keeping boost.build and
generating such files (as Qt does with qmake) could be an alternative area
to make effort in and would provide more benefit in the shorter term for all
external users of boost+cmake.

I can help if someone who maintains boost.build wants to pursue that.

> Also, I'd like to poll the community to gauge interest in the rebirth of
> such
> an effort. __I'm not proposing myself to work on such a rebirth__, but I'm
> just curious to know what the community thinks about it. I, for one, would
> love to see it happen.

It can be revived at any time if there's a decision and a plan to complete
it.

Thanks,

Steve.