Subject: Re: [boost] interest in an asynchronous linear algebra library?
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-19 16:59:34

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:13 PM, Oswin Krause <
Oswin.Krause_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> This sounds like a specific solution to a general need for schedulers.
>>

> This proposal can work on top of any scheduler that allows for dependency
> graphs. You could see this library as a specific application of scheduling
> linear algebra tasks, because we know exactly how the dependencies are and
> how to order stuff. Therefore, we can completely hide the scheduling.
>
> Have you looked at the current proposals from the various sg groups
>> such as sg1? Do they not help to solve your problem? Now is the time
>> to speak up if they don't. Go find Michael Wong or Hans Boehm.
>>

> I am not sure about the current state of the proposals, I only remember a
> recent discussion about executors where I raised concerns about possible
> deadlocks and missing guarantees. Anyways, I would not know where to start
> looking for the current state of the proposals.

The C++ committee's papers are a good place to start. See
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/

Work from newest (at the end) to oldest (at the top).

You might be particularly interested in:

P0159R0
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/p0159r0.html>
Draft of Technical Specification for C++ Extensions for Concurrency,
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/p0159r0.html

N4514 <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/n4514.pdf>
Technical Specification for C++ Extensions for Transactional Memory,
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/n4514.pdf

N4507 <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/n4507.pdf>
Technical Specification for C++ Extensions for Parallelism ,
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/n4507.pdf