Subject: Re: [boost] interest in an asynchronous linear algebra library?
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2015-11-22 14:06:00

Robert,

> > <rant>
> > Why do people fall into the trap of the NIH syndrome over and over
> again?
> > *sigh*
> > </rant>
>
> Hmmmm - Is HPX a boost library? Maybe you want to affiliate HPX with
> boost in the manner that spirit is. Might make for an interesting
> review discussion.

HPX is actually at least 5 (if not more) different libraries, so this would
fall through even before any discussion has started. It is also ~250k LOC,
nobody would want to review that anyways.

While I understand the significance of being part of Boost (in terms of
legal and company BS), I don't think that it would be worth the effort at
this point for us to invest time into such an endeavor. That said - if
somebody would be interested in turning HPX (or part of it) into his 'own'
Boost library - please be our guest. We would be in full support for such an
effort.

We (HPX) have always used Boost as our role model for code quality,
portability requirements, coding guidelines, license, review discipline (I
believe we're even further along the road here if compared to Boost), etc.
Thus - if somebody is interested in code quality and excellent support - I
don't see any reason not to use HPX in the first place, even if it's
external. It wouldn't be more 'external' than using Boost.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu