Subject: Re: [boost] ATTENTION: Library requirements..
From: Raffi Enficiaud (raffi.enficiaud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-01-11 03:48:38

Le 11/01/16 04:03, Rene Rivera a écrit :
> Forgot to say..
>
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 4:51 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>

>> People can browse the documentation online, which does not require any
>> additional setup. I would posit that 95% of new users use the online
>> documentation, and they don't use the offline documentation anyways.
>>

> That rationale has made me angry more times than I can count. I do a lot of
> my Boost work offline. In particular on the train to/from my day job.
> Specifically I mostly do test results web site work with Google App Engine.
> And it's infuriating that Google decided that no one works or reads docs
> offline. Even when faced with the repeated bug reports and feature requests
> to provide offline docs for GAE (and they aren't alone in the web dev realm
> in this behavior). I had to resort to web scraping their doc web site (with
> limited success).
>
> Just a data point though ;-)

I also agree that having offline doc is a important thing: I can add
that the navigation is much faster as well, and we can just grep things...

I like the idea of Andrey Semashev: distributing a separate archive for
documentation and reducing the size of the distributed archive. For the
PDF, I do not know exactly the use case, but I can image having one
single file containing everything is something that is useful.

Concerning Doxygen vs. Quickbook: I am a doxygen user since 16 years and
a quickbook user for 2 years. I have to say both of them have their own
merit. "BUT", I have never seen a single acceptable documentation made
directly with Doxygen without the intervention of a tremendous amount of
effort. The best I have seen is the one of CGAL, and still it looks so
Doxygen. Ppl always say that it can be adapted, macros can be added,
everything can be customized, etc etc. Nice, but after having heard this
point for so many years, I just see nothing on the market.

That is to say: I do not think ppl in Boost think they are smarter than
others (even if often they are), I think they are addressing issues.

I think at some point, I will work on a Doxygen to Quickbook transformer
script.

Raffi