Subject: Re: [boost] [ANN] build2 - C++ build toolchain
From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir.prus_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-05 02:38:42

Hi Boris,

thanks for the response!

On 04-Feb-16 5:42 PM, Boris Kolpackov wrote:
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> Vladimir Prus <vladimir.prus_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> could you consider using name that's not 'build2'?
>
> I honestly don't see how 'build2' (always spelled in lower case, no space
> between 'build' and '2') can be confused with 'Boost.Build 2', I think
> that's a bit of a stretch.

I would say that if humans are to read those names, they would not care about
capitalization and spacing. You hear "build 2" part and you're already confused.

Do you honestly believe that if you say "boost build 2" and "build 2", there is
no likelihood of confusion, to speak in trademark terms?

> For the 'b2' logo (and that's only place we use 'b2' -- our executable
> name is called 'b' and we always call the project 'build2'), yes, you
> may have a point. But, again, confusing a logo with an executable name,
> I don't know... We will probably change/stylize the logo at some point
> so it will hopefully be even less confusing.

Probably more than 90% of people use the name of the executable to refer to Boost.Build,
quite natural for a build tool where the executable is the primary interface.
It's not a name of some deeply hidden component.

Also I am not sure how you plan to stylize your logo - if it remains
a wordmark, changing font and colors but retaining "b2", there would still be
confusion between b2-the-executable-name-for-a-C++-build-system and
b2-the-wordmark-for-a-C++-build-and-packaging-system.

I realize you must have spent some money on the domain name, and gave talks,
so renaming everything might not be an easy option, but at least avoiding "b2"
is possible, don't you think?

--
Vladimir Prus
http://vladimirprus.com