Subject: [boost] [gsoc16] [Boost.GIL] gsoc idea - further development on Boost.GIL
From: Christopher Harpum (mechacrash_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-18 12:06:30

Dear Boost,

Pre-warning, this is my first time actively engaging in the mailing list - I

primarily stick to the archives - so excuse me for anything non-conformat.

I'm a student looking to forward a proposal regarding further development of

Boost.GIL. Namely:

- Cleaning up some bugs / oversights within the current review branch (lack

    of colour-conversion profiles for certain formats, uninitialized values

    resulting in UB for BMP palette alpha channels, etc.)

- Fulfilling additional features and clean-up, as requested during the
formal

    review (2010) http://lists.boost.org/boost-announce/2011/01/0281.php

- Looking into further development of the io_factory proposal for run-time

    file format detection
(http://stlab.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/GIL_File_Format_Import/Export_Factory

    ,POC implementation
https://github.com/stlab/adobe_platform_libraries/tree/master/adobe/gil/exte
nsion/asl_io)

I use Boost.GIL extensively within my projects, so I've had a reasonable
amount

of time to get accustomed to the code-base and believe this will help me
achieve

these goals.

I understand that the project has been undergoing a period of inactivity, so
I'm

not sure whether this proposal would find a suitable mentor, or if it will
be of

interest for a GSOC project.

I hope to further discussion of this proposal prior to submitting anything

formal, though I'm not fully aware of the procedures for independent
submissions.

Regards,

Chris