Subject: Re: [boost] [doc] Liven up Boost Documentation with Java Script?
From: Krzysztof Jusiak (krzysztof_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-02-26 17:17:27

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Boris Schäling <boris_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> By the way, do you or anyone else know how reliable Wandbox is? Is the
> website/online compiler up and running most of the time?

It seems to be reliable, but I'm not sure about it. I guess wandbox is
based in Asia somewhere.
Nonethless, they provide the dialy snapshots of the compilers which is
awesome!

> When you look at the examples of these other programming languages, do you
> modify them and are happy you can run them in the browser? (Serious
> question; I wonder as I never did this and never missed such an option.)

Yea, I do experiment in the browser a bit. I just can't be asked going
through the installation process as it's different for each compiler.
Therefore, I'm checking it online.
If I like i will give it ago and spend more efford installing and playing
with it online. That's the way I experimented with Go and Rust. But it just
me, no idea whether other developers
have similar approach.

> Given that you referred to other programming languages: I do wonder
> whether developers look at C++ as a programming language which is too
> difficult to get started with ("you can try out Rust/Nim/Go/D in the
> browser but not C++ - too much effort to try it out"). If this is the case,
> I would definitely want to see more C++ examples being interactive.

Well, I see it a bit like that, but again, it's just my view from my
experience. A lot of developers I talk to (mostly Java,Python, C# or JS),
still think that C++ is basically C with classes. Moreover, it compiles
slowly, gives really long error messages and plenty of segfaults. It's hard
to convenience them to modern C++ and that OO might be done the same way,
that we can use dependency injection too, that we can compile quickly
etc... Having an online way to show that, IMHO, may surprise them a bit and
maybe encourage to try modern C++ a bit more.