Subject: Re: [boost] Regression testing Clang/LLVM with VC14.
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-09 05:35:21

On 4/9/2016 3:19 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2016 at 8:32, degski wrote:
>
>> Sergey suggested I'd run regression tests, in the "other thread". I was
>> hesitant at first, mostly due to the luke warm reception.
>
> It's only apparently a luke warm reception due to the volume from
> those with various axes to grind about winclang's historical
> decisions.

There are no "axes to grind" by me, just a reality: winclang's emulation
of the VC++ preprocessor, as demonstrated when encoded into Boost PP, is
a failure. I wish it were a complete success but it is not. This also
means that Boost libraries which use Boost PP will likely fail when
compiled with winclang. To paraphrase the old standby: "what is it about
this that you do not understand ?"

If there is a version of VC++14 that uses clang, and that clang is not
emulating the non-standard VC++ preprocessor but is producing the normal
standard C++ preprocessor, and that version can be identified via
preprocessor defines differently from the clang version that does
emulate the non-standard VC++ preprocessor, I would be glad to change
Boost PP to support that specific version. Otherwise asking Boost PP to
support the clang that emulates the non-standard VC++ preprocessor, and
is a failure in doing so, is not happening.

snipped...