Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Some suggestions
From: Thijs van den Berg (thijs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-12 08:48:21

> Bjorn Reese wrote:
>

>> If, however, you use the NaN payload to convey information, such as
>> errors or diagnostics, then the compiler generated payloads can cause
>> interoperability problems.

There are two type of interoperability IMO:
1) a single program read and writes bytes to memory or disk
2) two different compilations of a program that run on (an have been
compiled for) different machines and which want to exchange floats via some
form of serialisation.

>From what I've understood the scope of the endian library is to support 1),
and the wider scope of 2) would be more for a serialisations type of
library. I'd expect that 1) would probably not have interoperability
issues, whereas 2) potentially can?