Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Some suggestions
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-12 09:54:57

Sorry to but in..

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 7:48 AM, Thijs van den Berg <thijs_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Bjorn Reese wrote:
> >

> >> If, however, you use the NaN payload to convey information, such as
> >> errors or diagnostics, then the compiler generated payloads can cause
> >> interoperability problems.
> >>

> There are two type of interoperability IMO:
> 1) a single program read and writes bytes to memory or disk
> 2) two different compilations of a program that run on (an have been
> compiled for) different machines and which want to exchange floats via some
> form of serialisation.
>
> From what I've understood the scope of the endian library is to support 1),
> and the wider scope of 2) would be more for a serialisations type of
> library. I'd expect that 1) would probably not have interoperability
> issues, whereas 2) potentially can?

That logic doesn't follow for me. If I replace "float" with "int" in the
above. The conclusion is different. And I conclude that the Endian library
is indeed for both #1 and #2. Hence it seems inconsistent to me that the
library would adhere to different conclusions for some types (i.e. float)
than the other types (i.e. base 2 types).

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything