Subject: Re: [boost] [Root Pointer] New Documentation
From: Glen Fernandes (glen.fernandes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-13 09:28:38

Phil wrote:
> I know, the problem is it's not that simple to replace the GC in WebKit ;)

Of course: It would involve some non-trivial work on your part, so it only
depends on whether you feel having users of your code (or convincing people
of its merit) is worth it.

And, as you've found out, it isn't that simple to get people interested in
your idea, either.

> But can you imagine the benefits of having Javascript running
> deterministically?

When you initially claimed "They [Webkit] aren't interested in cutting edge
C++", it gave us the impression that they didn't want to use Root Pointer
because the idea was radical. From the discussion on their list, that
doesn't seem to be case. It seems they didn't want to make changes based
purely on imagination of what the results should be. They appear to be open
to it if you're able to do the work to and evidence the merits with
benchmarks.

My advice is to take this opportunity, try and replace their GC with a
better solution. Along the way, if you find you need to improve your
solution, all the better. At the end of it, you'll have two apples that you
can compare. The results of the comparison, if in your favor, would also
certainly be compelling to Boost and everyone.

Glen

Glen