Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Stephen Kelly (hello_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-14 15:11:33

Paul Fultz II wrote:

>> And where would the cmake files come from? How would they appear in the
>> packages? They have to be generated, remember. Are you going to make
>> cmake a hard requirement just to generate some files?
>
> If a boost library is being built already with cmake, of course it will
> use cmake.

How? Will the boost release managers run cmake to generate the files for the
monolithic release archives? Or will there be modular, separate releases of
cmake-based and boost.build based libraries? Will the cmake-based libraries
still contain boost.build files?

These are things I'm suggesting you think about and put into a plan.

>>> So then when the user wants Boost.Filesystem it can download and build
>>> the libraries needed just for Boost.Filesystem.
>>
>> I think you need to expand your mind beyond 'the user downloads the
>> source and builds it'. You are missing entire worlds.
>
> I think you are missing entire worlds as well. Everywhere I have worked,
> we always built boost from source.

I'll assume for a moment that you are right and I'm missing something.

What am I missing? Why does what I proposed not work when building from
source? I would love to know where my proposal does not work because no one
has given any feedback on it.

Then you said more than you intended to when you wrote this:

Paul Fultz II wrote:

>>> I don’t know the details with that because I usually always use
>>> pkg-config over the cmake package files.

Thanks,

Steve.