Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-14 17:08:44

On 2016-04-14 21:30, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Paul Fultz II wrote:
>> Doesn't boost install into the standard ${PREFIX}/include and
>> ${PREFIX}/lib directories?
>
> "b2 install" does, yes.
>
>> I don't understand how bpm will remove the headers and the libs that
>> were installed for a module.
>
> bpm (which is as of yet still a toy and is not being used) doesn't
> install into $PREFIX/include and $PREFIX/lib. The use case is that you
> choose a directory in which to put Boost and it downloads the libraries
> there. It doesn't have an install step that copies the headers and the
> libraries into a systemwide location.
>
> That's more of a Windows workflow, where there is no systemwide location
> for libraries, so one just puts them wherever convenient; but given that
> most Linux distros already have their own Boost in /usr/include and
> /usr/lib, a typical case for installing by hand would be to use a newer
> release which one might also want to put not in /usr/{include,lib}.

I'll add that 'make install' is in fact considered a bad practice in
Linux because there is typically no 'make uninstall' and you're on your
own if you want to remove or upgrade the software. The preferred way is
either package the software and use the package manager to
install/remove/upgrade or install into a separate directory tree which
can be removed completely when needed.