Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-15 13:22:28

On 4/15/16 9:30 AM, Louis Dionne wrote:
> Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2 <at> gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Don't overthink it. All I'm saying is that the Boost guidelines recommend
>>> that
>>> CMakeLists.txt should appear in $some_library/build/CMakeLists.txt, while I
>>> argue that current practice is to put it in $some_library/CMakeLists.txt.
>>>

>> Just to be clear. It's not a recommendation. It's a requirement.
>
> I must admit having a hard time being imposed something like this, given that
> Boost does not support CMake at the moment. <snip>

Renee might have said that this is a requirement but he can't be correct
here. The boost build/test process is tolerant of "other" files in the
library directory. I know because I have a few of them. I have a
separate directory for CMake stuff and another one for performance
tests, some boost build/test utilities etc.

My reluctance to put CMakeList.txt in the library root is really based
on aesthetic/symmetry grounds. I don't like having any add-on for build
to have a "privileged" position. I realize that its customary for CMake
users to do this and the CMake system encourages this to factor out
common CMake scripts, but contrary to assertions of others, I don't
think that it's strictly required.

Robert Ramey