Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-15 12:30:27

Rene Rivera <grafikrobot <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 12:33 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2 <at> gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Don't overthink it. All I'm saying is that the Boost guidelines recommend
> > that
> > CMakeLists.txt should appear in $some_library/build/CMakeLists.txt, while I
> > argue that current practice is to put it in $some_library/CMakeLists.txt.
> >

> Just to be clear. It's not a recommendation. It's a requirement.

I must admit having a hard time being imposed something like this, given that
Boost does not support CMake at the moment. I understand the importance of
satisfying the requirements for Boost.Build (and Hana satisfies them), because
that is how the rest of Boost works. But I don't see why I should be imposed
something w.r.t. CMake, since that is completely unrelated to the Boost infra.

IOW, I don't think it is reasonable for you to regulate about CMake stuff for
individual libraries, given

(1) it's not required for the Boost infrastructure to work
(2) the matter has not been discussed on the ML, and these requirements are
    only the reflection of your own preferences (AFAICT)

I'm not trying to be nonconforming just for the sake of it. On the contrary,
I think conformance is important and useful, and I know it is important to
your work. But still, I feel like regulating about CMake is beyond what's
reasonable in the current state of things. If Boost was using CMake as a
primary build system, things would be different.

Regards,
Louis