Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-16 12:05:21

On 4/16/2016 11:41 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> Are you envisioning a test infrastructure "activating" as meaning that
>> it will only test the library for which the commit is made ?
>
> Yes, that's also how Travis and Appveyor work. The upside is that
> libraries that are actively being worked on receive prompt test
> attention. The downside is that dependents aren't tested if they don't
> change. So we'll probably need some sort of a hybrid approach.

If bpm can get "fine" enough ( maybe it already is ? ) we should be able
to trigger tests in such an infrastructure based on dependencies, so
that a commit will not only test the library to which the commit was
made but also those libraries that depend on that library, and it needs
to work recursively. Of course we would need to understand that a
library's headers may depend on different libraries than a library's
tests depend on etc. That's the ideal case but a good testing
infrastructure can certainly aim for it.