Subject: Re: [boost] [CMake] what to do now?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-04-16 12:50:23

Edward Diener wrote:

> If bpm can get "fine" enough ( maybe it already is ? ) we should be able
> to trigger tests in such an infrastructure based on dependencies, so that
> a commit will not only test the library to which the commit was made but
> also those libraries that depend on that library, and it needs to work
> recursively.

The problem here is that in order to determine which libraries depend on the
changed library X the tool (boostdep or bpm) needs to look at the source of
the potentially dependent libraries in order to see if they include a header
from X. And for that it needs a full checkout - which is one of the things
we're trying to avoid.

The alternative is maintaining a dependency graph separately, by a cron job,
for instance.

I don't have a suitable 24/7 machine or I'd setup a continuously running
Boostdep - having an up-to-date dependency report somewhere is always a plus
even for humans.

Or, we could generate a dependency graph as part of the release procedure
and use the one from the last release.