Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Evolution
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-17 22:52:22

David,

On 05/18/2016 12:33 PM, David Sankel wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Vladimir Batov <
> Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> More so. If one tries to search for "C++ Boost" (as Robert suggested)
>> and for "Boost software" as you David suggested you'll immediately
>> see that people by far prefer Robert's (I do).
>
> Yes, people prefer c+boost over even C++! (
> https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=C%2B%2B%20boost%2C%20C%2B%2B&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B6
> )
>
> If you move your mouse over the results, you'll see that "C+boost" was what
> the system looked for. When you type in "boost" in the search box you'll
> get the "Software" grouping disambiguator. cmake doesn't need a
> disambiguator. The original graph is a good reflection of reality.

Thank you for pointing it out. Indeed, the pop-up box does show
"C+boost". Still, the "Search term" box shows "C++ Boost". You seem to
outright dismiss the information provided by the "Search term" box and
to present the pop-up box info as the sole truth. I am far from
convinced it's justified. In fact, the "q=C%2B%2B" seems to indicate
that it indeed searched for C++.

> When you type in "boost" in the search box you'll get the "Software"
grouping disambiguator.

You seem to trust that filtering component working flawlessly. I am
again not that sure. :-)

More so, the numbers shown in that pop-up box are questionable... not to
say outright bogus. :-)