Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-21 17:47:16

On 21 May 2016 at 22:20, M.A. van den Berg wrote:

> How can we speed of the review process, make it more efficient? To take
> an extreme: Apple reviews millions of apps, the reject very quickly and
> have a likely a semi-automated and rational checklist that developers
> can self asses their submissions against.

Good idea, but not a new one.

I began putting together an initial checklist of potential
automatable C++ style and design checkers via a clang AST parser at
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/BestPracticeHandbook. The idea
was that people could submit their library, and get it scored and
ranked on a dashboard. All automated. Even better, non-Boost library
authors could use the same system as tuneups for their own code - a
solution truly serving the C++ community at large, not just yet more
Boost parochialism.

It was not warmly received by the community. I got publicly accused
of all sorts of malevolent behaviours, so I abandoned the effort and
moved onto more productive uses of my time.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/