Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-21 20:13:00

On Sunday, 22 May 2016 02:34:48 MSK Robert Ramey wrote:
> On 5/21/16 4:09 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> > Wow. Boost community is so harsh, unfair and narrow. I must say I'm amazed
> > with your persistence in communicating with it - it sounds like it's a
> > pure waste of your time.
>
> The boost community open about considering ideas. It's just that not
> all ideas are recognized as good ones. Just the fact that some idea
> doesn't convince a consensus, doesn't mean that Boost is harsh,
> parochial, close minded, old, or whatever. It likely means that that
> ... the not many people consider it a good idea. This is the simplest
> explanation and I'm sure the correct one.
>
> What would boost look like if we accepted every idea proposed? OK too
> ridiculous. What would boost look like if half the ideas proposed were
> accepted? Still too ridiculous. Is there any idea you think should be
> accepted? Do you really believe that replacing the current review
> system with some automatic scoring system would be an improvement? Then
> go ahead and make your case. But don't accuse those who have made a
> better case of having some sort of personal failures. I know you don't
> mean to do this, but that's what your doing.

To be clear, there was a fair bit of sarcasm in my message, sorry if it got lost along the
way. I allowed myself this kind of message only because Niall has repeatedly expressed
disappointment with Boost community in the form verging on disdain. I don't like seeing
comments along the line who accused whom and how underappreciated someone is in
what is supposed to be a technical discussion. Maybe my comment didn't help it either,
but I'm tired of this nonsense about Boost being dead and community serving its own
over-represented groups and so on. What could have started as a constructive discussion
with a positive outcome turned into this political bs.

So I guess my point is talk less, code more. If you think Boost is dead then don't bother
with it. Sorry if I'm being too harsh, unfair or narrow.