Subject: Re: [boost] Rebooting Boost: Call for Lightning Talks @ CppCon
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-23 06:10:33

On 22 May 2016 at 23:05, John Phillips wrote:

> I agree that Boost should serve the entire C++ community. In fact, I
> would like to see all capable members of the C++ community find ways to
> serve the community. However, my experience in the last nearly 20 years
> of service to that community is that almost no two people agree on what
> is and is not a service to the community. I have, in that time, found no
> value in arguing with people that my idea of service is better than theirs.
>
> As such, I root for all attempts at service to succeed. To find at least
> some segment of the community for which that service honestly improves
> the language and the quality of code being produced in the language.
>
> So, if you want to serve by trying something new and different - I wish
> you well. If you want to serve by doing something tried and true, I
> again have nothing but respect for your desire to serve, and hope for
> you to succeed. If you want to try to work within existing projects to
> try and tweek them toward some direction you find more likely to
> succeed, once again you have my support for your desire to make a
> difference.
>
> I will make my own choices of what to lead or follow, based on my own
> (admitedly limited) understanding of the needs of the community, and of
> my own skills and interests. I expect all others to do the same. I will
> only object if I feel people are somehow being forced to work against
> their desires and understanding.
>
> I see no reason for strained tempers and acrimony in any part of this.

Hear hear John. And thanks for speaking up in what has become quite
an ill tempered response.

I would like to emphasise that a Boost reboot is only as divisive and
exclusionary as the Boost community chooses it to be. I personally
speaking intend to continue to participate in Boost for many years to
come, and I would imagine many joining the development of a reboot
would also continue to serve here. Being nasty, negative and toxic to
real change is what got us here in the first place, and it would be
my strongest hope that the development mailing list or forum of any
reboot would be a far more pleasant, encouraging and positive place
to be and serve than what this place has become in recent years.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/