Subject: Re: [boost] Boost is supposed to serve *the entire C++ community; it isn't Boost's goal to serve Boost's community*
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-23 17:03:02

On 05/23/2016 11:30 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/ubuntu/test
> excellent! however, a quick search of Launchpad only finds Boost 1.55
> https://launchpad.net/~boost-latest/+archive/ubuntu/ppa How can we get
> the most recent Boost release (and/or master) available to Ubuntu
> users as easily?

Indeed. However, I am not sure there is much value in that effort. Boost
is for developers and as a developer I simply download the version I
need (not necessarily the latest), build and package binaries up to be
deployed across the rest of the project. Using PPA will likely update
the installation automatically as soon as an update is available. I
personally do not want that... Well, I want those updates controlled.
Namely, built with, tested, etc. before deploying. So, as a user I am
personally quite happy with the existing arrangement... and for those
same reasons I like Boost as one "monolithic" distribution too.