Subject: Re: [boost] b2 looks for tools/inspect/build/Jamfile
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-05-23 18:19:11

Rene Rivera wrote:
> > By the way, do we really need to package a release on every commit to
> > develop? :-)
>
> Yes, it's needed. It's how I reduce the likelihood that merging to master
> will still work for the actual releases. We've had enough problems in the
> past with this last step not working that I'm ok with it running all the
> time.

Now that I took a second and third look, it occurs to me - and this may well
be your plan - that the "ci_boost_status.py" part can actually parse the
commit message ("Update foo, bar from develop") and then checkout foo, bar
and their testing dependencies and run

    b2 libs/foo/test libs/bar/test toolset=...

which would actually make it unnecessary for every library to add its own
travis/appveyor integration. We'll just need to route the email notification
to the proper person, or perhaps setup a dedicated mailing list for that, or
do both.

Actually... we could checkout the whole Boost, without dependency analysis,
as a first step, and deal with dependencies later. The other VMs do that
anyway. :-)

This does not entirely replace per-library travis/appveyor integration
because it will not test the library pull requests, but on the other hand,
it requires zero effort on part of individual maintainers. And that is the
outdated, Boost 1.x way, is it not? :-)