Subject: Re: [boost] Cxx dual library
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-03 19:52:44

On 6/3/2016 5:53 PM, Gottlob Frege wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> * Have you considered adding a new namespace and import the definitions
>>> from either boost or the standard library, so that the use of macros
>>> will be reduced and adding some non intrusive adaptation would be
>>> possible?
>>

>> No, because that leads to complications which are beyond the scope of what I
>> was trying to do. I am not as afraid of macros as you appear to be.
>
> Luke: I won't fail you. I'm not afraid.
> Yoda: You will be. You... will... be.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzmpXz5d2z0
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist.

The bad guys in the star wars fantasies are children compared to the
bad guys of human history or even of the imagination of the greatest of
creative artists ( of which George Lucas doesn't even begin to qualify ).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

> Macros are evil.

Everyone to their own opinion <g>.

Much boilerplate C++ code has been created in Boost libraries using the
facilities of Boost PP. My won Boost VMD adds to that ability for those
who are interested. C++ macros are like any other language facility,
valuable if used correctly, poor if misused.

> I'd appreciate more work from a library author if it
> meant less use of macros by the library users. Even when I'm the
> library author.

All CXXD does is just work ! I guess that must be evil.

I do point out in the doc potential problems using a macro-based
solution. But I found it the easiest way to achieve what I wanted to do
with the least amount of work on the end-user's part, so I opt for it
for myself. I only hope others will find it as useful.