Subject: Re: [boost] A retrospect on 'CMakeLists.txt' policy review
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-03 20:26:54

Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:

> On 6/2/16 6:52 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>
> > 2. Use some other directory as the cmake output directory.
> I always put the build outside the whole tree. I thought everyone
> did and I thought that's was the normal/recommended/customary
> practice when using CMake.

I always assumed that "out of source build" meant that all the products
were in their own separate directory, (i.e. root/build/), but not
necessarily meaning that the directory was out of the source tree
(i.e. root/../build).

I think the goal is to not end up with .o files alongside .cpp files,
nothing more, but I could be mistaken. Using root/../build is cumbersome
because the build directory will conflict if you have many different
projects. Imagine for example

    /home/ldionne/code/
        project1/
        build/ <-- build tree for project1