Subject: Re: [boost] A retrospect on 'CMakeLists.txt' policy review
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-04 00:00:22

On 6/3/16 5:26 PM, Louis Dionne wrote:
> Robert Ramey <ramey <at> rrsd.com> writes:
>

>> On 6/2/16 6:52 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Use some other directory as the cmake output directory.
>> I always put the build outside the whole tree. I thought everyone
>> did and I thought that's was the normal/recommended/customary
>> practice when using CMake.
>
> I always assumed that "out of source build" meant that all the products
> were in their own separate directory, (i.e. root/build/), but not
> necessarily meaning that the directory was out of the source tree
> (i.e. root/../build).

LOL - It's amazing I can't understand this.

here's what my tree looks like

modular-boost/libs/serialization/...

workingspace/serialization_static_xcode
workingspace/serialization_shared_xcode
workingspace/library_test_xcode
workingspace/serialization_static_gcc
etc.

I spent a fair amount of time investigating what CMake does
how people use it etc. Though I never had the feeling anyone
really knew that much about it, it seemed to me the obvious
way to do things. It lets me have a bunch of projects
with different settings going at once and just blow the
whole thing away when I'm tired of it.

I haven't done that with bjam as it has it's own internal
structure for all the different builds. But I'm warming up
to the idea of using bjam the same way.

Robert Ramey