Subject: Re: [boost] [density] new library
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-06-13 20:40:47

On 14 June 2016 at 00:14, Giuseppe Campana <giu.campana_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Il 13/06/2016 19:56, Klaim - Joël Lamotte ha scritto:
>
>> You might want to clarify the differences with this library as colony is
>> well advanced in it's production.
>>
> The main difference is that plf::colony is an homogeneous container
> (elements have all the same type), while density deals with heterogeneous
> containers, in which elements may have a common base class (i.e.
> polymorphic containers like dense_list<Widget>), or may be completely
> type-erased (for example: dense_list<void> or
> dense_function_list<int(float)>). The core idea of colony is avoiding
> element reallocation and moving. The core idea of density is avoiding
> wastes of memory and sparse data structures.

Ah yes I forgot the the polymorphic part mixed up colony with some other
library discussed recently, certainly related to entity-component systems
(like EntityX or another library proposed to boost that I forgot the name
of)
which imply polymorphic storage. I can't remember which library it was
unfortunately.
Sorry about that.