Subject: Re: [boost] Generating Boost documentation with pandoc
From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-07-22 13:10:43

> Why are you not reading the PDF version on your laptop already?

I used to have preference for PDF over other formats.

That changed when I met ePUB.

In Boost case, I like the HTML because it's easier to navigate among
chapters and sections.

(A BIG virtue is that you can use the PDF Reader to *search ALL* of the
> document, not just one HTML page.)

This happens with ePUB too.

> Anyway, I was wondering how nice would be to have an ePUB file containing
> > the whole Boost documentation.
>
> How nicer than the PDF versions?

It allows text to reflow, which is great to adapt to my screen size (and
not the other way around). Font size is nice, I have a single file
containing the whole documentation.

I'm using ePUB to read IETF's RFC now and navigation is way nicer. I still
go to the txts when I really need to copy something (like a regex and
stuff), but apart from that I'm fine.

> > pandoc has docbook support as one of its input formats and is capable of
> > generating great ePUB output.
>
> Or perhaps we could probably very easily convert from PDF to ePUB using
> this
>
> http://www.pdf-epub-converter.com/pdf-to-epub-converter.html
>
> But are there other people who would like this format?

This conversion would be way behind what I could call suboptimal. PDF is
made for printing and it'd discard too much information that makes the ePUB
great. Imagine converting PDF to HTML, that's what these conversion tools
have to do.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/