Subject: Re: [boost] [EXTERNAL] [graph] Sync develop with master?
From: Murray Cumming (murrayc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-08-10 16:38:58

On Di, 2016-08-09 at 17:28 +0000, Belcourt, Kenneth wrote:
> This is certainly an upgrade worth discussing.  I’m not convinced we
> should drop support for pre-C++11 compilers as I have several systems
> that I need to run BGL and other Boost libraries on that can’t
> upgrade to C++11 at this time.  And I’d bet there’s other users in
> the same boat.

Can't they stick with older versions of BGL? People didn't seem to need
the fixes in the recent releases for the last couple of years, because
develop didn't get merged to master - they were effectively using an
old version with not much more than a version number change. They would
only be forced to use a newer BGL because of the bundling of BGL with
other Boost libraries that they might want to upgrade.

But this is a general Boost issue, I guess, and I don't know of any
guidelines. I think Boost has to drop support for older compilers at
some point so the Boost code can move forward with clean code. I've
found that things like variadic templates and decltype(auto) can
massively simplify generic code.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc_at_[hidden]