Subject: Re: [boost] compiling boost using C++11 atomics
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-08-26 14:45:26

AndréDraszik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any particular reason that boost isn't being compiled with
> BOOST_AC_USE_STD_ATOMIC and BOOST_SP_USE_STD_ATOMIC (by default) when
> C++11 support in g++ is available (g++ >= 4.7)?

Support for <atomic> in earlier C++11 implementations wasn't reliable enough
compared to shared_ptr's platform-specific implementations.

Things nowadays have probably already reversed though, with <atomic> being
more reliable. I could turn it on by default when BOOST_NO_CXX11_HDR_ATOMIC
isn't defined, which according to Boost.Config would enable it on g++ 4.9
and above.