Subject: Re: [boost] [fiber] Suggestions regarding asio
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-09-25 12:45:26

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Tatsuyuki Ishi <ishitatsuyuki_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

Asio sucks in the following point:
> Its design is incapable to save system calls by doing a batch poll.

? I admit I am not familiar with Asio's internals, but I would think that
with multiple I/O requests pending, it could do exactly that. If it doesn't
support that already, the io_service design would at least seem to permit
it.

> Its design doesn't allow the user to specify a timeout, which is essential
> in suspend_until.

I assume the idiom would be to initiate I/O and also set a timer. Whichever
handler is called first, cancel the other.

> It lacks of useful things for a coroutine-based system like filesystem
> operations.

Boost asynchronous filesystem operations are a work in progress:
https://ned14.github.io/boost.afio/index.html

> Maybe I will get patching into asio. I'm just sending for some commence.

It might be good to start a new mail thread with a subject line such as:
[asio] enhancement suggestions/requests