Subject: Re: [boost] [fixed_point] First presentation from GSoC 2015 and more
From: Christopher Kormanyos (e_float_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-10-12 14:32:26

> I'm a bit surprised I didn't see this work before.
> Are you aware that SG14, the gamedev, real-time simulations, embedded
> software and financing study group for the standard
> is working on fixed point real proposal too?
> Here is a version of the proposal:>http://johnmcfarlane.github.io/fixed_point/papers/p0037r2.html and>http://johnmcfarlane.github.io/fixed_point/papers/p0381r0.html
> I will notify SG14 in case they missed your work too.
Thanks for the information.
We became aware of your work unfortunately very late inthe project. Much of our fixed_point work stems from myearly prototyping dating from 2011 - 2013.
I see a lot of similarities in the two bodies of work.Maybe we could identify the strengths of each work.I don't know if it makes sense to combine them,but maybe share some concepts or interface ideaswould make sense.

In your work I've been experiencing some trouble withthe division routine. I also had some problems compilingon VC12 (but you don't target that compiler anyway).So that's no big deal.
In your work you are using wrapped versions of elementarytranscendental functions designed for built-in float.You might appreciate our hand-crafted functionsdesigned to be highly efficient in several digit ranges.
I have also benched our fixed_point on bare-metalembedded systems both 8-bit and 32-bit with verysatisfying efficiency results. This is a key featurefor our embedded users that might also be interestingfor SG14.

Thank you and best regards, Chris

    On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 11:37 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]> wrote:

 On 6 October 2016 at 12:07, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

I'm a bit surprised I didn't see this work before.
Are you aware that SG14, the gamedev, real-time simulations, embedded
software and financing study group for the standard
is working on fixed point real proposal too?
Here is a version of the proposal:
http://johnmcfarlane.github.io/fixed_point/papers/p0037r2.html and
http://johnmcfarlane.github.io/fixed_point/papers/p0381r0.html
I will notify SG14 in case they missed your work too.

Joël Lamotte