Subject: Re: [boost] Request for a new submodule, tools/depinst
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-11 14:19:36

Rene Rivera wrote:

>> git submodule update --init --depth 1 tools/regression
>
> How would you bootstrap that?

Not sure what you mean.

- cd ..
- git clone -b $TRAVIS_BRANCH --depth 1
https://github.com/boostorg/boost.git boost-root
- cd boost-root
- git submodule update --init --depth 1 tools/regression

What is the bootstrap problem here? That the above sequence is not part of
the script? Why does it need to be?

> Hmm.. Are you saying that getting an old version of the regression tools
> that "matches" a particular checkout of the libraries at some point in
> time should always work and be a measure of reproduction?

Yes, this to me feels like the right thing to do. When you are testing a
specific Boost snapshot, it makes sense for the testing tools to also be a
part of this snapshot.

And there's also the principled objection of not executing unknown
unauthenticated scripts retrieved by wget across the internet, although I
won't insist on that. :-)