Subject: Re: [boost] Request for a new submodule, tools/depinst
From: degski (degski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-12 01:35:51

On 11 November 2016 at 22:16, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> My point is that there should be a reliable way to checkout any Boost
> release, at any point in future, and that checkout is synchronized (i.e.
> all components were tested together and testing results were deemed
> satisfactory) and the same every time.

The *rust* eco-system uses this approach with *cargo*. Although cargo is
still in full-fledged development, it works remarkably well, not to say
it's great and getting better all the time as improvments are introduced
continuously! Each (sub-)library is built with either specific libraries
versions (which can obviously change with a new release) or at least a
minimum version. The dependency-version(s) are determined by the library
maintainer for each library and is therefore fully automatic and
transparent.

degski