Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Filesystem v3 - requires wstring - an obstacle to testing the serialization library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-18 00:55:31

On 11/17/16 9:27 PM, Thomas Trummer wrote:

>> On 17 Nov 2016, at 20:45, John Maddock <jz.maddock_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I've posted these before, but here are the serialization build/linker errors I see locally:
>
> For completeness I’ll also post the reason for this problem again:
>
> The problem is that "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL" expands to
> "__attribute__((__dllimport__))" in "singleton.hpp" when it is
> included from files that don't define "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SOURCE"
> e.g. "binary_iarchive.cpp”.

How is that a problem? Isn't that what's it's supposed to do? Note
that this isn't failing for any other windows platforms.

After I posted that message, I found that it ony applied to mngw 3.4.

Other versions of mngw (4.x) don't display errors because the test
matrix truncates the error messages. Or the library fails to build and
the test matrix doesn't display any error messages at all.

The test matrix "platform"
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/igaztanaga-develop-gcc-6-1c++14.html
doesn't reveal whether this is a build of a shared or static library.
So it's impossible to see what's happening here.

Don't get the impression that I don't appreciate the extra input, but I
really need a definitive solution in the test system itself.

Robert Ramey