Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Filesystem v3 - requires wstring - an obstacle to testing the serialization library
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-20 16:53:57

On 18/11/2016 18:55, Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure I've posted these before, but here are the
>>> serialization build/linker errors I see locally:
>>
>> For completeness I’ll also post the reason for this problem again:
>>
>> The problem is that "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_DECL" expands to
>> "__attribute__((__dllimport__))" in "singleton.hpp" when it is
>> included from files that don't define "BOOST_SERIALIZATION_SOURCE"
>> e.g. "binary_iarchive.cpp”.
>
> How is that a problem? Isn't that what's it's supposed to do? Note
> that this isn't failing for any other windows platforms.

It's correct if they're being linked to separate DLL files. Looking at
the jamfile, that doesn't appear to be the case; and it's not correct if
they end up in the same binary.

binary_iarchive.cpp does define BOOST_ARCHIVE_SOURCE; perhaps these were
originally intended to live in separate compiled libraries?