Subject: Re: [boost] [outcome] Requesting pre-review of Boost.Outcome tutorial
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-11-22 05:54:00

Amazing that something as handling the unexpected can be complicated, but yes, I think it does.

As you and others have observed, explaining the "evolution of ideas" is too convoluted with the 'how to do it now'.

Splitting the documentation into "What it is and how to do it" from "Why it's like this and how it is better"
is one way. Re-ordering could also work.

For users, start with the very, very, very simple to prevent TL;DRitus switching readers off.

Working examples that the user can pull and run will sell well.

> 2. Do you think you could use Outcome in your own code after reading it?

Probably.

> 3. Do you think you would want to use Outcome in your own code after
> reading it?

Possibly (because I rarely care much about speed, or indeed reliability).

But I can see that others will care greatly.

(And I care greatly that computer systems are so intermittently dysfunctional - all my consumer devices are riddled with dodgy code
that only works mostly).

> 4. Are there any missing parts which are showstoppers?

Not that I can (or would be able) to spot.

Keep going!

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow