Subject: Re: [boost] [Stacktrace] review
From: Nat Goodspeed (nat_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-14 21:15:33

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 2:42 PM, Nat Goodspeed <nat_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:

>> - Do you think the library should be accepted as a Boost
>> library?

> Yes I do. I would like to see the non-template base class, but that's not a
> showstopper: I would rather have this library without than not have it at
> all.
>
> As I mentioned, I would like to see integration with Boost.Exception. That
> just seems like a natural next step.
>
> I see further opportunities for integration with Boost.Context,
> Boost.Fiber...

I forgot to mention another potential enhancement of interest. This is
a feature request post-acceptance.

I would like to be able to:

* serialize a stacktrace from a running program without available symbol files
* deserialize that stacktrace on a different system that has symbol
files for the original program
* display symbolic output (function names, source files, line numbers)
for the original stacktrace.

For this usage, the serialization format could optimize for space
rather than readability.

I suspect that the prerequisites for that use case would vary by
platform, but the functionality would be *very* useful.