Subject: Re: [boost] [trac] Boost v1.64 in the milestones?
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2016-12-22 07:44:47

On 22.12.2016 03:37, Raffi Enficiaud wrote:
> Just for information:
>
> - as of today 1.64 is still not appearing in trac :) just a kind reminder

As much as I'd like to see this happen (in the github tracker), I'm even
more keen to see the 1.63 release making progress. :-)
(I have pinged Rene about github.com/boostorg, whose 'boost' repo right
now has no issue tracker activated. I suppose that would be the right
place to start tracking new milestones...)

> - cmake recently moved from mantis to gitlab and it worked quite well,
> but I do not think the effort was little:
> - Mantis was left read only (and it still is),
> - all non-closed issues have been migrated to gitlab and a banner
> has been added (resolution "moved" + some text)

Something like this would be good for us, too.

> They wrote a dedicated converter, I believe this can be adapted to
> trac/github:
>
> http://cmake.3232098.n2.nabble.com/Mantis-to-GitLab-converter-td7594051.html
>

> On my side, I am perfectly fine with moving to some other thing, but
> since boost is an umbrella project, users should have one unique
> interface with the issue tracker. I do not know much about github,
> maybe it works as "components" for each issues, and each "component"
> being a project/repo of the umbrella. I believe this needs some
> investigations, I just played with the "project" feature, I do not
> think this is doing what is needed there.

I still don't think that Boost.Python users should submit issues into a
shared "Boost issue tracker". I see little value in that, and a lot of
inconvenience for Boost developers. (In fact, this monotonic approach
has proven its impracticability for the last couple of years - it simply
doesn't scale to the number of projects / modules / libraries /
components that are currently part of Boost.

> Funny thing, just to check that ppl are reading: I am able to create a
> project on the boost umbrella project.
>
> Concerning the wiki of GitHub, I am really not sure I like it the way
> it is. The information is hard to read, maintain and organize there.
> To my opinion, it is really targeted to single pages.

Perhaps. But as long as we (the Boost community) spend so much effort
arguing about tools and little on content, there is not much that will
improve. It's the state Boost has been in for the last couple of years.

        Stefan