Subject: Re: [boost] Boost Cmake Modules
From: Egor Pugin (egor.pugin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-11 18:55:11

Hi,

I'm working in the same area, but more globally - dependency
management. See [1]. There're a lot of packages already, not only
boost.
I did a small announcement about CPPAN here (in boost ML) some time ago.

Cppan tries to manage C/C++ libs with simple declarative syntax (YAML)
with ability to include and insert cmake scripts of any complexity.
>From such description or declaration a complex CMakeLists.txt is
generated and then used by CMake. See example of generated file for
boost::log [6].
Of course cppan supports including selected deps to your usual
CMakeLists.txt project.

You can find all boost packages here [2]. They are currently is under
'pvt.cppan.demo.boost' namespace -
'private.username.my_demo_directory'.
If boost is willing to go to cppan officially, it could create and use
organization 'org.boost' namespace ('com.???') is also available. Such
naming came from other langs (java, c# and also from future C++Modules
proposal).
For example, names could be 'org.boost.hana', 'org.boost.asio',
'org.google.protobuf', 'com.intel.tbb', 'com.ibm.whatever',
'org.qt.multimedia', 'org.kde.*' etc.
I'm adding boost there since 1.61.0, see [3].
Dependencies is not the strongest boost part because many of libs are
header only, so people don't track them properly. I wrote a program to
track them automatically [4]. (It builds with cppan only already in
script style 'cppan --build main.cpp'.)
Cppan specification example is on the page [5].

[1] https://cppan.org/
[2] https://cppan.org/projects/pvt.cppan.demo.boost
[3] https://cppan.org/pvt.cppan.demo.boost.asio
[4] https://github.com/egorpugin/boost_dependencies/blob/master/main.cpp