Subject: Re: [boost] Moving away from SourceForge
From: Diego Rodriguez-Losada (diego.rlosada_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-23 14:44:20

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Diego Rodriguez-Losada <
> diego.rlosada_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
> >

> > Hi all,
> >
> > As part of JFrog, I would like to offer Bintray services for this
> > migration. Bintray counts with several features that could be relevant
> for
> > the Boost community and users:
> >
> > * Not stagnating - 2 billion downloads a month and growing
> > * Backed up by Akamai – the most powerful CDN in the world for faster
> > downloads
> > * Watches and badges – uses can follow and get notifications when new
> > versions are released
> > * Organizations support – people that create and publish Boost can be
> part
> > of the organization with powerful permissions
> > * REST API – tooling around resolution and deployments of Boost, it's
> very
> > easy and powerful with Bintray
> >

> > Bintray will sponsor the hosting, so no costs for the Boost community,
> in a
> > similar way as JFrog did for hosting the Mac OSX Homebrew binary bottles.
> > We might be able to also provide support for executing the migration,
> > writing scripts for copying the artifacts from sourceforge, etc.
> >

> FYI.. We already use Bintray, and it was the first alternative I tried
> after evaluating various <https://bintray.com/boostorg>. But there where
> various problems we encountered to use it for general releases. The key one
> being what Tom mentioned:
>
> ===
> One thing that we found that couldn't be replicated at any of the other
> major OSS hosting sites was the ability to have the windows binaries in the
> same location. These files are quite large (200MB x 12 visual studio
> version + 1.4GB for the combined archive), and none of the sites that we
> looked at could support them. There was also (I believe) a general
> consensus that we wanted to keep those at the same place as the source
> distribution.
> ===
>
> Is it possible to support that use case? As an example here are the files
> we are talking about we had problems with <
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/1.63.0/>.

Yes, the issue is that you probably hit the OSS quota, not prepared for
such large binaries.
Did you contact bintray for support on this?

The sponsoring would consist of raising the quota, specifically for the
Boost project.
I am working on the details and checking that there aren't other
limitations, I will contact back when I have more info.

Diego