Subject: Re: [boost] Moving away from SourceForge
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-23 14:53:57

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Diego Rodriguez-Losada <
diego.rlosada_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 7:02 PM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Diego Rodriguez-Losada <
> > diego.rlosada_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Louis Dionne <ldionne.2_at_[hidden]>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As part of JFrog, I would like to offer Bintray services for this
> > > migration. Bintray counts with several features that could be relevant
> > for
> > > the Boost community and users:
> > >
> > > * Not stagnating - 2 billion downloads a month and growing
> > > * Backed up by Akamai – the most powerful CDN in the world for faster
> > > downloads
> > > * Watches and badges – uses can follow and get notifications when new
> > > versions are released
> > > * Organizations support – people that create and publish Boost can be
> > part
> > > of the organization with powerful permissions
> > > * REST API – tooling around resolution and deployments of Boost, it's
> > very
> > > easy and powerful with Bintray
> > >

> > > Bintray will sponsor the hosting, so no costs for the Boost community,
> > in a
> > > similar way as JFrog did for hosting the Mac OSX Homebrew binary
> bottles.
> > > We might be able to also provide support for executing the migration,
> > > writing scripts for copying the artifacts from sourceforge, etc.
> > >

> > FYI.. We already use Bintray, and it was the first alternative I tried
> > after evaluating various <https://bintray.com/boostorg>. But there where
> > various problems we encountered to use it for general releases. The key
> one
> > being what Tom mentioned:
> >
> > ===
> > One thing that we found that couldn't be replicated at any of the other
> > major OSS hosting sites was the ability to have the windows binaries in
> the
> > same location. These files are quite large (200MB x 12 visual studio
> > version + 1.4GB for the combined archive), and none of the sites that we
> > looked at could support them. There was also (I believe) a general
> > consensus that we wanted to keep those at the same place as the source
> > distribution.
> > ===
> >
> > Is it possible to support that use case? As an example here are the files
> > we are talking about we had problems with <
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost-binaries/1.63.0/>.
> >

> Yes, the issue is that you probably hit the OSS quota, not prepared for
> such large binaries.
> Did you contact bintray for support on this?

I don't remember if I did.. I know I contacted them for various issues but
don't know if that was one of them.

The sponsoring would consist of raising the quota, specifically for the
> Boost project.

OK.

> I am working on the details and checking that there aren't other
> limitations, I will contact back when I have more info.

Great.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything