Subject: Re: [boost] What is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2 ?
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-27 08:44:34

On 27 January 2017 at 13:23, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> The link http://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2
> redirects to http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/snapshots/master/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2
> which seems to be a snapshot from master, and VERY different to the
> boost_1_63_0 release (which makes it a VERY misleading URL).
>
> How often is that snapshot updated?
>
> Shouldn't it have a different name if it's not boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2
> but some completely different set of sources (which currently don't
> even build)?
>
> The Fedora Linux packages have been using that URL, for several years
> by the look of things. So I have no idea what arbitrary collection of
> changes we've been shipping instead of a proper release.

OK, I've found https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/snapshots/master/
which explains they're snapshots.

I still think having those tarballs called "boost_1_63_0" is insane,
when it's not that release at all. Can't you append "-snapshot" or a
date to the name or something?

And I also think having
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2 redirect
to a snapshot is rather sneaky, as there's no indication you're using
a snapshot not a release. Has it always been like that, or did it
change with http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2016/08/230528.php ?

I see I'm not the first to ask for this:

http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2016/08/230535.php says "I agree
that the current pattern may lead to confusion." YES. YES IT DOES.