Subject: Re: [boost] What is http://downloads.sourceforge.net/boost/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2 ?
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-01-27 21:40:13

On 27 January 2017 at 20:44, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On 01/27/17 21:58, Rene Rivera wrote:
>>

>> If it's at all possible the Everyone should be using links like this:
>>
>> <
>>
>> https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/boost/boost/1.63.0/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2
>>>

>> That specify the full path to the file. If Linux distros are not doing
>> that.. Shame on them.

The Fedora RPM spec file was changed to use the redirecting URL years
ago, long before I took over maintenance of the package. It didn't
occur to me to verify it (since it was definitely a sourceforge.net
URL and for the boost project, and it seems that until the CI
snapshots last summer it *was* getting the correct file).

If we'd been using the snapshot URL it would have been obvious it was
not what we wanted, so it seems the fault is with SourceForge for
redirect an URL that doesn't imply "snapshot" to a snapshot file.

I've updated the RPM spec file to use the full path now.

> I'll add that the download links in the official Release notes [1] seem to
> be correct:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/boost/1.63.0/boost_1_63_0.tar.bz2
>
> SHA checksums are given there as well to make sure you're dowloading what
> you want to download.
>
> [1]: http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_63_0.html

Yes, that's how I noticed what I had wasn't right.