Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in non-owning pointer-like types?
From: Gottlob Frege (gottlobfrege_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-09 18:56:44

Naming:

- I think pointer or reference like things should be named _ptr or
_ref etc. (In comparison, optional and any can be null, but own their
value, they don't reference an external value.)
- 'observer' has already been taken by the Gang of Four as a design
pattern. Unfortunately. We could re-take the term, but it does add
confusion.
- I've suggested cadged_ptr in the past - it is not a great word, as
it it not very common, but it is actually the right meaning.
And by not being common, it means we can imbue it with whatever
meaning we'd like. In that sense it is a perfectly cromulent word.

Tony