Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in non-owning pointer-like types?
From: Joseph Thomson (joseph.thomson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-09 13:08:12

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> The GSL is a *much* better home for it than Boost because then you'll
> have Bjarne batting for it, plus static checking support from Microsoft
> in VS2017 and Google via clang-tidy. You'll also get a *huge* userbase
> almost instantly, because the GSL or rather one of its C++ 98 clones is
> seeing exponential growth recently. It's amazingly useful for upgrading
> ancient C++ codebases.

For those who are interested, I have included `observer<T>` (but not
`observer_ptr<T>`) as part of a proposal regarding the recommended use of
pointers over at the C++ Core Guidelines
<https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines>. If you feel so inclined, you
can continue the discussion in the issue I created. I have taken on board
some of the feedback I received in this thread, so thanks very much.

Issue: https://github.com/isocpp/CppCoreGuidelines/issues/847
Proposal: https://github.com/hpesoj/gsl-pointers