Subject: Re: [boost] Review Request : Boost.SIMD
From: TONGARI J (tongari95_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-10 10:18:36

> Can Boost.SIMD please be added to the review queue? Michael Caisse has
> volunteered to act as the review manager.
>
> Boost.SIMD is an efficient modern C++ wrapper for SIMD instructiosn sets
> and computations that aims at providing a standard way to write code taking
> advantages of SIMD enabled hardwares.
>
> Boost.SIMD repository
> https://github.com/NumScale/boost.simd
>
> Documentation
> https://developer.numscale.com/boost.simd/documentation/develop/

Question: why not provide load/store as member functions (like
std::atomic)?

I just tried some simple examples (e.g. saxpy) with Boost.SIMD but I got a
bit disappointed since it performs slower than the normal scalar code
(/arch:AVX2, with BOOST_SIMD_ASSUME_SSE4_2) on VS2015.
The assembly shows that VC already vectorizes the scalar code, and does
better than the handwritten SIMD code.

That said, I believe it's a useful library.