Subject: Re: [boost] Status of Visual Studio 2017 support
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-15 22:31:06

On 15/02/2017 11:29, Andrew Pardoe via Boost wrote:
> If you're having trouble locating the install location, please reach
> out to me. There's a straightforward way to do it programmatically. More
> info can be found on this Reddit thread and the blog post referenced:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/cpp/comments/5t3881/visual_studio_2017_will_be_released_on_march_7/ddmowka/

Maybe I'm just misreading something, but is that saying that the point
of the changes is to allow multiple versions of VS2017 to be installed
side-by-side? What's the point of doing that?

I mean, I can understand multiple VS versions side-by-side (I currently
have 2008, 2013, and 2015 installed, and use all three regularly) but I
don't see the point of multiple of the same (even if at different update
levels).

The blog post talks about installing C++ support in one directory and
Web support in a different one, or something like that, but again,
what's the point? I can understand wanting to install only one or the
other, but if you want both, they both should be installed in the same
directory, as in previous versions. Having separate installed
directories for each is just weird and inconvenient.