Subject: Re: [boost] Status of Visual Studio 2017 support
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-02-21 15:23:02

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM, degski via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
wrote:

> On 20 February 2017 at 20:47, Tom Kent via Boost <boost_at_[hidden]>
> wrote:
>
> > Specifically, opening the command prompt and running a simple b2
> > command is a lot to ask for even some moderate level windows developers
> > (sadly).
> >

> Could you please back that up with information from a reliable source or
> stop talking out of your backside.

First; We should strive to be a bit more civil in this community.

Second; I doubt anyone has done a scientific, or other, survey on such a
question. And hence all we have are 15+ years of fielding the kinds of
questions Tom and others are referring to. And maybe some of us have
personal experiences in this regard.

Thirst; But this all detracts from the key point. The current situation
with using VS2017 to bootstrap a C++ compilation is problematic. And it's
something the VS team has known for months. Given the comments by various
other teams dealing with the exact same situation. As evidenced by comments
in the blog posts in the VS announcements of said structural changes. And
so far the solutions suggested by the VS team amount to everyone else other
than VS duplicating the work in every project that has the issue in rather
bad kludged code.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything