Subject: Re: [boost] [safe_numerics] Last three days
From: John Maddock (jz.maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2017-03-10 17:22:03

> I'm very, very concerned that there are only a very few reviews
> (actually really just one !!!). In the past I've railed against the
> acceptance of libraries with only two reviews !!! I don't really know
> what else to say about this. I'll just punt to the review manager.

I think the problem is this: normally we review largely based on
interface and the design - get the design right and the internals
usually take care of themselves. However, in this case the design is
(hopefully) exceptionally uncontroversial - it looks like an int, smalls
like an int, and behaves like an int. There really isn't much to get
your teeth into there. What really matters is that:

* It's functionally correct.
* It truly is a drop in replacement for type int, with no nasty surprises.
* It's performance compared to int isn't so dreadful that no one uses it.

Unfortunately reviewing these points requires some exceptionally
detailed work: the internals of the library are sufficiently complex,
and use enough unfamiliar (to me at least) C++14 features, that this is
not an easy task. I confess at present to be deeply surprised at how
complex the internals are...

Best, John.

---
http://www.avg.com